Published: 26-01-2018 photo #42004 0 comments 0 votes
Pictured outside Welwyn Garden City old fire station in Bridge Road, between the council Offices and the Cherry Tree pub.
The old Simonis pump 054 MX was supplied to WGC Urban District Council in April 1929 at a cost of £570 7s 6d by Simonis Limited, Fire Engineers of 32 Alfred Place, London WC1. The Leyland Pump Escape was fitted with a 50ft wheeled escape ladder and was delivered in 1938. As can be seen, it had 2 rows of cab seats (unlike many similar appliances which only had one) although some of the crew still had to stand on the running board and hang on, one of whom rang the bell with the clanger rope. The ambulance type is not known, but is painted in wartime drab grey.